Solid State Logic announces its latest plug-in release: SSL X-Gate. The new plug-in is available now in several formats including VST2, VST3, AAX and AU as part of the ever-growing SSL Complete subscription from $14.99 per/m (Ts&Cs apply). X-Gate is the fourth new plug-in added to SSL’s Complete Bundle in recent months.
Featuring a rolling waveform graph, mid/side processing options and tweakable hysteresis using independent open & closed thresholds, X-Gate builds upon the company’s renowned knowledge of hardware gates, all delivered through SSL’s advanced workflow interface. The new plug-in is suitable for music and content creators alike and delivers a unique range of features for extended sound sculpting — an invaluable tool for sound design, audio restoration and of course, mixing.
“X-Gate continues to expand the SSL plug-in offering with a comprehensive but easy-to-use surgical gating tool for mixing, live and broadcast applications.” commented Jonathan Sandman, Plug-ins Product Manager at SSL. “Fast, snappy and precise, X-Gate is guaranteed to be your new workhorse plug-in for shaping drums and other instruments, adding punch to your mixes, and transparently fixing ghost notes, noise or room bleed.”
In addition to M1 processor compatibility, X-Gate also introduces variable lookahead times and zero additional plug-in latency at the lowest setting, making it a perfect tool for tracking situations where mic bleed can distract from the primary source material. Meantime, its EXP and DUCK modes allow either transparent gating or ducking options; ducking is typically used for attenuating a signal when it exceeds a certain threshold, and this can be used in conjunction with a DAW’s sidechain function for intelligent ducking.
Features of the new X-Gate include:
- Easy-to-use THRESHOLD and RANGE controls, visually aligned with WAVEFORM GRAPH and GAIN REDUCTION METER for coordinated control.
- ROLLING WAVEFORM VISUALISATION GRAPH for setting the perfect threshold.
- ATTACK, RELEASE and HOLD time parameters gives detailed control over the shaping of the audio.
- Tune the performance of the gate using the interactive FILTER GRAPH to apply HIGH- and LOW-PASS FILTERS the sidechain signal.
- Use the EXPANDER mode and accompanying KNEE control for a more transparent option: make quiet signals quieter and expand the dynamic range of the signal.
- Simple discrete LOOKAHEAD options for minimising the latency when using a lookahead.
- Transform the plug-in into a production ducker with a single click – use DUCK mode to invert the sidechain logic, attenuating the signal only when it exceeds the threshold i.e., to duck the music when you speak into your microphone.
- Tri-colour TRAFFIC LIGHT CUES give a clear indication on the momentary open/closed/hold state of the gate.
- Use the MID/SIDE processing options to trigger the gate in creative ways or gate only the mono or stereo components on the signal.
- SIDECHAIN and GATE audition modes.
- Apple M1 processor compatible.
Along with the SSL Complete Bundle Subscription, X-Gate will also be available at a cost of $129 (ONLY $89 until July 28th).
For more information on the SSL X-Gate plug-in, please visit: https://store.solidstatelogic.com/plug-ins/ssl-x-gate