SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • February 13th, 2018 — Whether it was housed at Olympic in London, Musicland in Munich, or in the famed Rolling Stones mobile studio, the Helios Type 69 console was at the center of hundreds of iconic albums from rock’s “Golden Age.” From must-own albums by Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Pink Floyd, to Bob Marley and the Wailers, David Bowie, Black Sabbath and AC/DC, the Type 69 delivered fat, unmistakable attitude, with a punchy midrange and an assertive growl.
Universal Audio is now proud to announce the all-new Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Collection for UAD-2 hardware and UA Audio Interfaces — including an exacting end-to-end circuit emulation that improves upon UA’s original standard-defining Helios Type 69 “EQ-only” Legacy plug-in.
In developing the new Helios Type 69 plug-in, UA’s team of engineers dug deep into two original Type 69 Olympic-era “golden units,” faithfully modeling their custom-made, feedback-style, 70 dB input section — along with a complete emulation of the coveted Lustraphone mic input transformer. This end-to-end circuit capture is the only “triple-amp” preamp on the UAD plug-in platform, and offers the same complex flavors as the original hardware.
The new Helios Type 69 also offers a ground-up redesign of the original hardware’s famously bold passive three-band EQ. For the first time, the Helios Type 69 plug-in perfectly emulates the rich-sounding inductor saturation behaviors that keep radical EQ moves sounding ultra-musical, even at extreme settings.
Finally, owners of UA Audio Interfaces can track in real time with Helios’ vintage analog channel, like having the original hardware. The Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ plug-in also supports Universal Audio’s Unison™ technology, giving UA Audio Interface users the Type 69’s all-important impedance, gain staging, and circuit behaviors that have contributed to making it an iconic hit-making console.
Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Plug-In Key Features:
- An authentic end-to-end circuit emulation of Helios’ iconic Type 69 analog channel, exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces
- Includes the full character of the original hardware’s Lustraphone transformer-based mic preamp
- Exacting emulation of the iconic, colorful inductor-based three-band EQ
- Unison technology for UA audio interfaces offers authentic tone, touch, and feel of the Helios Type 69 preamp, including precise impedance matching
- DSP-lite Type 69 Legacy EQ plug-in included
- Artist presets from J.J. Blair (Johnny Cash, George Benson), Chris Coady (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV on the Radio), Jacquire King (Kings of Leon, Tom Waits), and more